Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thieves Horchata

Have you tried this tasty Mexican rice drink called horchata? If you haven't, you should! Horchata is made from rice; giving it it's milky look and consistency, cinnamon,  and sometimes vanilla. Mmm so good! 

The first time I tried horchata was when Mark and I were driving back to my house from Oklahoma. We had had our first Thanksgiving with his grandmother (on his father's side). We were 30 miles from my house when we decided to get dinner for my parents and ourselves. We stopped at a Mexican restaurant in Blanco, Texas. As a last minute decision  I decided to try this yummy looking drink. After all, Mark was telling me about it. 

=COMICAL NOTE= How is it that a man from Houston knew about horchata before me, a woman from San Antonio? Really? What is up with that!? 
ANYwho! I was an INSTANT fan! We both enjoyed it so much that we got refills. lol 

Here is a recipe I got from a Young Living book that uses their Thieves essential oil instead of cinnamon sticks. It's not bad. 
When I stayed at the Scoggins' a month ago, Lisa and I emulsified a batch that I had made. It was...ok. Lisa put a drop or two of YL Cinnamon essential oil and some honey into the final mix. It turned our REAL good! 

So, for all you who like try something new and like a healthier alternative to boot, you'll have to try this fun recipe!


THIEVES HORCHATA

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup Long Grain Rice (rinsed)
2 Quarts Water
1-2 Drops Thieves Essential Oil
1 Tsp. Vanilla (optional)
¼ Cup Blue Agave

DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan, combine rice, water, and Thieves. Set aside for 3 hours. After 3 hours, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Puree rice mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth or a sieve. Flavor with vanilla and agave to taste. Chill and serve over ice. For more flavor, try adding a drop of Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg Essential Oil to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment